Families and Schools Together (F&ST) is a proven parent involvement and prevention program helping children succeed academically and socially. The program, developed by Dr. Lynn McDonald in 1988 is offered in more than 20 countries – from Australia to Central Asia and Scotland to Brazil. F&ST has been offered in Winnipeg, many communities in Manitoba and throughout Canada since 1996.
F&ST brings parents and school professionals together in an 8 week school based community program designed to:
- Empower Parents and Children
- Strengthen Parent-Child bonds
- Promote healthy lifestyles, child resilience and school success
- Strengthen coping strategies and build support networks to reduce stress experienced by parents and children in daily life
- Enhance relationships between families and their schools
- Build community capacity
F&ST is endorsed by the Canadian School Boards Association, the Canadian Teacher’ Federation and the Canadian Association of Principals.
The Canadian Public Health Agency lists F&ST on their Best Practices Portal.
FAST FACT: In August 2010 the United Nations recognized Families and Schools Together as one of the top evidence based programs in the world for strengthening families and communities. Learn more
How to apply
If you are a parent or school staff, please contact the F&ST Coordinator at 204-947-1401 or email@example.com office for further information on how to get F&ST in your school.
There is no cost to families. Participating School Divisions contribute to program costs. Schools contribute space and staff time.
- United Way of Winnipeg
- Manitoba Education
- Manitoba School Divisions